DJ Skee’s had enough. After 15 years on radio, Skee announced today that he’s leaving his posts on KIIS FM and Hip Hop Nation. His reasoning? Radio sucks. Although he’ll no longer be on air, he says there’s new opportunities on the way. Never settle.
Skee’s note below:
“Thank you all for the support over the past 14 years that I’ve been on the radio. There’s no question I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for all of you who supported me over the years. For all of you asking & wondering, I wanted to share the real reason I quit. Simply put, I lost my passion. Being on air used to be magical. I grew up glued to my favorite DJ’s & radio stations. Today, corporations have taken over and in my opinion are the reason for it’s downfall: repetitive playlists, too many commercials, lack of discovery, & a lack of vision for the future. I also felt like I hit the ceiling of what I could do while keeping my creative control. I still believe in the format of radio- just not the current broken system. This isn’t a slight at anyone i’ve ever worked with- I’m super thankful to everyone who gave me a shot or support & have no ill will & nothing but gratitude towards everyone! I just feel the responsibility to stand up & say something in order to make things as a whole better. I’m not saying anything I don’t hear everyday from my not only the fans but my fellow colleagues & DJ’s behind closed doors-I just felt the need to take the lead in order to make a difference. Sometimes you have to walk away and risk it all to make things better & stand for what you believe in.”
Watch the SKEE Live exclusive with Bobby Hundreds, the co-founder of the world’s first social merchandising company, The Hundreds which has expanded into 4 retail stores, clothing line with over 400 global accounts, print magazine and daily blog.
SZA and DJ Beatcrazed on TFR 5.21.2014 1:34-19:00 SZA of TDE discusses what are her favorite songs from her new album Z followed by a mini mix of the faves she discusses: -“Child’s Play” ft. Chance the Rapper -Sweet November -U R ft. Mac Miller -Warm Winds ft. Isaiah Rashad 19:00-52:00 DJ Beatcrazed Guest R&B […]
Clyde Carson & DJ Amen HBK Gang Mix on Third Floor Radio 5.14.13 Start-10:30 DJ Amen HBK Gang Mix One of the Bay Area’s most influential DJs mixes some of the best from the HBK Gang. 10:30-16:00 Clyde Carson Interview Part 1 Carson takes us back to where he grew up in the Bay, playing […]
1. 2006: SKEE launched the first daily YouTube content channel for music & culture of it’s kind when it first started (years before Google and post Myspace’s rise and need for a useful video tool/upload for artists/creatives).
2. 2008: Before Vevo, the SKEE TV team began to produce music videos specifically for the internet, pioneers in this promotional space that had record labels previously focusing on television only.
3. Daily and weekly SKEE can be heard on Sirius/XM “Hip Hop Nation” alongside KIIS FM 102.7FM and IHeartRadio.
4. After turning 30, he realized his new focus is on challenging existing business models that used to be gated off by a select few & empowering others through spotlight.
5. Mark Cuban calls SKEE the “Oprah” of our culture publicly alongside HERE on Jay Leno, that’s why he gave him the weekly SKEELIVE music program on his AXS TV Network.
6. SKEE was the first to play artists like Kendrick Lamar and Lady Gaga on the radio when not many believed in them or their unique sound.
7. He is previously guilty of not having a true defining statement or plan and trying to incorporate what others into what they were doing, even when it wasn’t right.
8. SKEELIVE fans helped him find his true voice.
9. “The Red Pill” is known to fans of the TV show as one of their favorite segments of the series, which became the defining moment not only for the show, but the entire SKEE brand.
10. He wants you to not only enjoy the best performances & interviews from today’s top artists, but walk away motivated to break barriers that featured artists alongside himself have in their own lives. If they can do it, YOU can too! SKEELIVE is not for gossip and juicy news, but the unfiltered truth & stories of empowerment from the leaders of THIS generation…
Have you found YOUR meaning? We all inspire daily to find ours, and hope the video above motivates you to as well!
Chevy Woods (Taylor Gang) & DJ Beatcrazed on TFR 4.30.14 0:37-3:43 Chevy Woods New Single “30 Deep” 3:45-7:52 Chevy Woods Part 1 Interview Chevy talks about his first and only odd job bagging groceries and starting to create music in college 7:52-19:00 Chevy Woods Mini Mix A collection of some of our favorite songs written […]